Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Shop till ya drop

So, this past weekend we went shopping and not just ANY shopping, I mean we did 4 whole days in Edmonton's various malls & shopping centres!! I'll admit, at first I was really set against going. I wanted to spend time with Tim, who's just barely arrived home from his trip to India, and I'll take any chance I get to see him! And after our first night walking the outlets I was pretty sure my feet would turn against me and resign from their responsibility of holding me up!! Turns out the trip was not too bad. I learnt to tone down the amount of text-messaging I did on my cell phone (for fear it would be confiscated!) and bought more than the rest of my family members! That's right: 4 tops, 2 sweaters, 1 dvd & 1 cook-book later... I'm officially broke!!

On a deeper thought level, I realized that money doesn't make me happy. At one point I truly wished that I had about a million dollars to spend on clothes, but honestly, is there any one outfit that would give me a lasting sense of... purpose? It wasn't wrong to buy that Abercrombie & Fitch sweater that I've always wanted, and it wasn't bad to not feel guilty about it either... but I was reminded of my time in India where I learnt that, because of their lack of material possessions they concentrate on what they do have, and that's family. I learnt that my dad is the most patient man in the world (you gotta hand it to him: he spent a weekend shopping with FOUR woman!!!), that my baby sis has developed into a very original and special girl, that my mom should buy more things for herself, and that my older sister's fashion taste is... extensive. We walked into one designer shop, Holt Renfrew, and I remember commenting to her that all the clothes would probably mean alot more to me if I had any sort of knowledge of fashion!!

After it was all said and done... Well that was actually lots of fun! How come we haven't done this more often?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke!
I agree with your Mom's description of you! You also have a brilliant mind and a heart for God. You're fun to be around and interesting to talk with. Can you tell I just simply love you a lot!!?
Love,
Auntie Elayne

Jobina said...

Ah, Edmonton shopping trips. My Mom and Michele and I went on one of those. We were given a budget and worked our butts off trying to buy as much as we possibly could with that money!
Your right, the thing that you buy probably won't give you a sense of purpose. I think the trap is in the coveting. Wanting what the store has. Not being happy with what we've got. Not being willing to settle for the second best sweater cause I want the first one so badly. Not being able to say, "I really have enough. I want more, but I don't need it." I feel this way sometimes, do you?

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke! Nice Blog, and I agree with your Mom's assessment of who you are!!
I also LOVE shopping at Holt Renfrew....well at least LOOKING (the prices are a little insane!). I'm going to Edmonton in June. Hope I have time to go "look"!!
Good to meet you here!!
Love,
Auntie Elayne

 

Aloha Ke Akua - "God Is Love" | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates